Tuesday, November 13, 2018

So, I Went to Buna....Twice In The last 2 Days

So, I went to Buna two times in the last two days. The last times was, farther back than I realized, it was at wedding at the Methodist Church.

I had to make a running trip the Farm in NE Texas, you know the Winnsboro, Mt. Vernon, Sulphur Springs region. Had to winterize everything. We had let the cold slip up on us.

I should have, but I did not even carry a deer rifle. I have gotten old. Not tough enough to sit out in 20 degree wind chill.

The first time was early before most stuff was open, and today, well, I was going to stop at Faustos and get some "glory bird" but it was so cold, and raining, I just kept on going.

In truth other than you have two pizza joints and a Tractor Supply, new Family Dollar, not much really new in Buna.

I really wonder if you need two major chain pizzas?

But I cruise through Call Junction and on a church's sign was this-

" Faith without Works is dead."

This of course is from James 2:17.

And the verse has been used and abused more throughout history by ministers, denominations, etc as a method to either control or get their members to donate more money. I member a Baptist minister who tried to get his members to tithe more using the verse from James. He said, " If you're a really good Christian, you are giving more than that 10%."

I know another minister who pushed his members so much he had them at his house mowing his yard, washing his car, helping him buy a new Lincoln automobile.

This verse in the Book of James caused Martin Luther in the 1500s to drive himself mad trying to work himself into heaven until he read.
"8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. " Ephesians 2:8-9 

I don't know if the person  took church history in seminary or not....Maybe they were absent that day. Faith, not works is what the entire Protestant movement was based upon.

Look, do the best you can as a Christian. You're not going to be perfect. Don't try to be. If you try too hard you are going to drive yourself nuts.  

Look, help folks, love your neighbor, be good to kids. If you feel like giving money, it doesn't always have to be to a church. It might need to go to the widow down the street with 3 kids trying to pay her heating bill after this week. 

This "showmanship" religion, you know, your religion, or lack there of should be between you and your deity. Not trying to impress someone at the church-house.




No comments:

Post a Comment

More Carnage, Buna ISD

 Three more teachers at the Buna Elementary resigned today.  That means that there has been a total of 9 teachers resign within a period of ...