Wednesday, November 28, 2018

This Fact Should Sort of Shock You

And I am sure I will get some sort of blow-back from this.  There are a couple of people who get all upset when I discuss this topic.

The church in this nation is dying.

Sorry, it just is.

It isn't dying as fast as it is in the South as it is in other parts of the country, but it is dying here too.

Every year, 6,000 to 10,000 churches close in the USA. 

That means about 100 churches a week in this nation close.

I know it died several decades ago in Europe and we are starting to " catch up."

Oh, I know you say you go to a church that is packed on Sundays, but in reality, most Americans do not attend church on Sunday. 

Less than 20% of Americans attend church on Sundays. 

I sort of pay attention to local churches and it seems that more and more are shutting their doors. Especially those in urban environments.  ( That doesn't mean rural churches are not closing too...)

I am one of the ones who no longer attends and I still consider myself a follower of the faith.

Oh, I will go on Christmas Eve and Easter. Mainly for music, but by the time they get around to the sermon, I have tuned out.

As many of you know, I attempted to start attending church again a few years ago. I tried hard. I could not do it. I was getting nothing out of it. I can do a Bible study and personal devotional here and get more from it here sitting in my den.

So, as one wrote me a couple of years ago concerning the topic...." Do I fear going to hell?"

No, I do not.

At some point either I grew or the church changed so dramatically, I just force myself to go when I attend.

I hate to tell you people, the church in America is shrinking. I wonder if it is because a number of the churches treat half their members as "second class citizens" while the rest of society is starting to them as equals?

And the Roman Catholic Church's entire handling of the priest pedophile scandal.... 

The fact that so many churches are now in bed with one or the other political parties in America?

But fewer and fewer people attending church? I am not shocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More Carnage, Buna ISD

 Three more teachers at the Buna Elementary resigned today.  That means that there has been a total of 9 teachers resign within a period of ...