Wednesday, February 19, 2020

Man, Glad I am Out of Buna ISD

I don't miss it. Oh I miss the kids, and the actual teaching or "trying" to teach some of y'all stuff, well, I liked, but the other bullshit, well, I don't.

My Mother is a retired teacher and when she and I pass a school now with the parking lots full of cars at schools, we laugh and laugh. It's like being released from a long prison sentence.  ( We did this the other day in Bastrop as we were coming home from my brother's place in Llano.)

This story, and if it is true is just, well, makes me so glad I am out of there.

It seems that the new Supt of Schools does walk troughs at the schools........That is bad enough to have someone just stroll through your class while you are teaching "Isms" or " Supply and Demand."

But allegedly, there are 2-3 other people with him when he strolls through.

Come on, you want to distract a bunch of teenagers? That'll do it.

People just strolling around the class.

I think I'd tell them " Sit your ass down." "I'm trying to teach here."

This observation is bullshit anyway. Most principals know what their teachers are doing, especially in a small 3A school district.

Then allegedly, there was some anger when it was discovered that teachers were upset because they found the walk trough's " distracting." 

I got in trouble on a evaluation one year because it was cold and I wore a crew neck sweater and the evaluator couldn't see my tie. ( Men were required to wear ties at Dayton ISD at the time.) I had to write up a paper how I was going to " Improve my dress. " The only thing I could come up with was " Freeze " or "Wear a V-Neck or Henley Sweater." ( I think the observer was upset because I was somewhat a fop even then. Fuck 'em.)

Teaching school is a hard job. I know many of you think it is not, but you got to be " On Point" all the time to be in control. You got to be prepared. 20-25-30 teenagers all crammed in a room.

Micromanaging people, especially teachers, well, generally don't work. Buna has a hard enough time finding teachers as it is.

Makes you wonder if all these administrators are just looking for something to do? Maybe there are too many administrators?

These administrators need to remember that most of the teachers in the classroom are there for the long term. Most administrators are looking for their next job up the "pay scale." Most have resumes circulating all over the state. 25 years later we "Old hands" talk about how badly administrators sucked. And we feel sorry for the people in their "Now" school district.

But then again, I am convinced most administrators don't care about kids, if they did, they'd still be in the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Men, This One's for You....And it Ain't Good.....

 I've been going to more and more funerals here lately.  Part of it, well, most of it is my age.  That said, I am appalled at the way me...