Friday, April 12, 2024

Messages on Buna ISD from Buna People: Money

 I know I upset people, or at least a certain group community within South Jasper County when I write on Buna Schools. 

I've even been called a malcontent, a nitwit, an idiot......Etc....

That's fine, when I really upset people, well, it means I am "Hitting a nerve." 

Look, it would be a lot easier for me to NOT write on Buna Schools, it really would.  But, so much just keeps popping up and so much "stuff" is like it is being hidden from the community. 

And school districts are notorious about keeping " bad" things from the patrons of the their section of the county. Of course, they only want "good" things circulated. It has fallen into my lap to let you know what often unacceptable things are occurring.  Or at least in my mind, unacceptable.

I want Buna to be a quality ISD. I really do. I get to say stuff because people who work in the school, or parents, grandparents, other relatives who have children are afraid. 

Yes, they are afraid of retaliation, especially, against the ones they are most concerned about, the kids. 

In the past week since I took a sabbatical from writing to take care of business and view the eclipse, I have received  several messages from people that have a vested interest in Buna ISD. Many of whom are VERY worried about their child's education.

Of those, most, it not all are just appalled at the financial situation of the district.  

In my last group of mail concerning Buna was the following concerns, worries, questions. 

- "Are members of the board afraid?" " Have they gotten into a hornet's nest they cannot solve?"

- Another wrote "We need to start over."

- "How do we get an audit? Either the Texas Edu. Agency or perhaps the Texas Rangers need to look at what is gong on?"

-  "Why do we need this many administrators?" ( And I agree here, as one writer put it, " We went years without all these administrators. Why do we need so many now?"  As another one put it. " It seems like the children are the last concern here.")

- " We can't get teachers now, and many are going. We can't get subs., or people to maintain the schools."

- " Why don't all the maintenance workers have bus driver's licenses? " ( Every other district I worked in, they did, it was just expected if they did not have one, to pass the test shortly after they were hired.)

- " Do we need a person who has part of their job description as 'Inclusion?' "

 And I am going to be honest with you,  teachers are going to leave if they start adding kids to their classrooms. Why stay and work more, for no more money? Yeah, we like kids, but we can love Kirbyville, or Lumberton or LCM kids just the same. 

Buna people, you need to be asking questions.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hang In There Buna ISD......

 I generally write teachers, students, whoever is associated with the district about this time of year.  When writing this, it is April 30th...