Friday, March 6, 2026

Again, For My Ex-Students....

 There are times I get out and about. I know the original hermit/monk, who probably could have made it in a monastery, has been going places....Which would make me a friar, not a monk....

Quick lesson....

Monks- Stay in and chant.

Friar- Get out and about. 

But, I've had appointments, have gone in an actual store that didn't say hardware or dollar in it's name.  Have been seen in a restaurant. 

In the past, I have taught a lot of people. A lot. 30 years of high school kids add up. 

Most of you, I know. And will call you by your last name. 

Trouble is, if you are female, I will call you by your maiden name. And sometimes, husbands get upset when I do so. Like I know the boy from Adam. Unless I the male spouse, I either taught, or is from Buna, I probably don't know the boy. ( I know some, I performed your wedding)....But most no...

And time to time, the boy gets all bent out of shape when I call their wife by the maiden name.....Which makes me wonder seriously about the psychological make-up of the spouse. ( I've been to Deb's PNG Reunion before and what does everyone call her? " Debbie Britain." And I expect them to and in truth, I do not care....Why should I, it was her name for years....) And the boy who gets upset seems to be in the same profession.....And it ain't teachers, professors, lawyers, etc......

Sometimes, I will know you, and won't recall the name. Help the old man out. But most of you, I will know your name. 

And we have done this before. 

You don't have to call me " Mr. Thomas." 

I know people like Tara Laramore will, she has told me " I feel funny calling you something else." 

But, Kerry is fine...Hell, if I was teaching with you, in a meeting, in the teacher's study, I would want you to call me " Kerry." 

And besides, most of you are well, you're getting old. I see the grey hair.  

My nephews are 22 and 18 and long ago, they dropped the " Uncle" when they call my name. It's Kerry or Kerry Don, the addition of " Don" is a family thing, and well, if you add the " Don" well, I do not mind. Hell,  it's my name. 

Anyway, from time to time, I feel the need to go over this, especially when I see a former student and they stumble. fumble what they are going to call me.  

Debating writing a  blog over the war we are now involved in, and it may not be what you want to hear....

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, I Wrote a Blog on This Over a Year Ago.....And STILL Get Hate Mail....

 And it has NOTHING to do with the Buna ISD.....I was told, "Yeah, they get mad at you, but at some point, even if they don't admi...