Wednesday, August 12, 2026

Well, I am Going to Catch H*ll , No Matter What I Say on the Subject Anyway Buna ISD.....

 Let me start off first starting here. 

When I was  Chair in the History Department at Buna High School, I prided myself, the instructors in the History Section, the kids in our Texas state scores. 

We made 100% several years and the one year we made a 97% I was beside myself. ( I remember a dreg from Region V asking if we wanted to improve our scores and I told her, " We can't, made a 100% on the last exam.".....And she had the nerve to get mad....She had not even looked at our scores.)

The HS Science Department was doing the same, with 100% scores for a number of years.  

And we really did not teach to the exam. A couple of weeks before the tests, we went over, but mostly, the Buna History teachers were teachers, of actual usable history. 

And after we had a lovely young lady join our family, who had been educated in China, I asked her about 3 questions concerning China which appeared on the Texas State Exam. 

She said, " None of the questions had a correct answer in the multiple choice selections."  And on one of the questions concerning Africa, and she caught it, had a date that was 100 years off. But, it was what was to be taught for the exam.

So, take that for what you want....

 The Buna High School made a "B."

The Buna Junior High made a "B"

The Buna Elementary made a "D." 

The Buna ISD made an overall " C." A high "C" but people outside the district will still see, the letter grade " C." 

I doubt anyone is looking at Buna School's scores and are going...." Whoop Dee Doo!" "We are moving to that academic powerhouse in Southern Jasper County. " 

I am glad the grades are up I am, but say what you want, the district has " Taught to the test" all last school year. Other than a salary, I would not want to teach school anymore. I would be bored out of my mind. Tell y'all stories, challenging you to do better not only in government and economic, but get you ready for your next step in life, be in college or whatever. Hell, I was teaching the young men how to " tie a necktie." I had you do high pressure presentations, when I grilled you on your research papers. You never know, where you may need it. I felt really good when I turned you lose in the world. 

Sadly, the tests are not going away from the state. Too much money involved. I wish they would go away. 

I am wondering if an accountant took a good look at the amount of funds the district spent for a " C." The finances spent could actually be justified.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, I am Going to Catch H*ll , No Matter What I Say on the Subject Anyway Buna ISD.....

 Let me start off first starting here.  When I was  Chair in the History Department at Buna High School, I prided myself, the instructors in...