No, it doesn't make no sense.....Or as one headline on the story wrote it, " It makes no cents?"
There are now more $100 dollar bills than there are $1 dollar bill.
And this just has occurred. I thought perhaps during the cocaine "heyday" of the 80s and 90s, the drug dealers would have the $100.
No, the first time that the $100 was larger in number than the $1?
2017.
The Federal Reserve, who issues Federal Reserve Notes(paper money) does so, on demand for the particular bill.
I know that the former Sec. of the Treasury Lawrence Summers has called for the end of the $100 bill. To try and slow down the drug trade, and people avoiding taxes.
But why all of a sudden in the last couple of years the influx of the $100.
By the way, the average $100 bill is in circulation over 17 years, the next largest denomination, the $50 only 8 years. ( They LOVE the $50 in Europe. They had rather have it than the $100. I am not sure why, but when we travel now, rather than carry the $100 to exchange, we carry $50s. Who am I fooling, everyone takes a credit card now....)
There are a couple of other reasons for the need for $100.
People are using it as a means to save. Still don't trust banks, there was a huge jump in the demand for $100s after the financial crisis of 2008. ( I know people who read this blog who keep cash on hand, just in case......More than you know. )
The Europeans are doing away with their €500 bill and money is worldwide is causing the demand for the $100. Some people think it could be negative interest rates in Japan and Europe....There is no real answer why there is a sudden demand for $100......Just something to keep an eye on in the coming months.
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Special Request....I Need Some Prayers This Week......And You Need to Remind Me
First, I need to talk about high school economics at some point. It has changed, and it is not the same economics as I taught you when I w...
-
Again, this is being written under the influence of 70s Rock....Particularly, Led Zep... .Kashmir, Lemon Song, Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog,...
-
I was told yesterday of the passing of a former Buna student. Young man, in an industrial accident in Pt. Arthur. As I write this, the pre...
-
I was hesitant to go here. It is the middle of the summer and whether we care to think about it or not, we are rapidly coming to the end o...
No comments:
Post a Comment