Thursday, July 18, 2019

Always Someone Unhappy

I expect people to purge themselves now.  On the other side of the coin, some of you have a hide of a "Bull Elephant" and I expect you to be with me for the long haul.

Yesterday evening, I received a couple of messages concerning why do I cuss, and then turn around and quote the Bible?

Good question...Damn good question.

As I have written in the past, I have a problem with religion, a hard time with it.

The money, the politics, the hypocrisy......Just the general bullshit.

But I am not ready to renounce my faith.

When I was teaching either your kids, or you, I so wanted to a little more philosophy than I did. I just did not have the time, and to be honest, in about March of the school-year, most of you were just shot. Seniorites is real. Thirteen years of public school is enough.

If I had I would have taught you about 17th Century French mathematician, philosopher, theologian, Blaise Pascal.

Not Pascal's Theorem, or Pascal's Triangle, or even Pascal's Law.....All mathematical theories you may have learned in school....

But rather Pascal's Wager.

Pascal's Wager is this.....

 Pascal's argument is a simple one: reason and intellect cannot decide the question of whether God exists or not; therefore, it makes sense to choose the option that would benefit us most should we be right.

The cartoon Calvin and Hobbes even put it into a simplified version concerning Santa. 

 Now, I know this is simplified, I know this only works if you select the "right God." And I know atheists have arguments against the law.

And I know some of you "Super Jesus" folks it may upset you, but at least, I generally put my sin out in the open and don't try to hide either behind the doors.....Lord knows what's really in your heart. 

But for me.... It works. 

Maybe that's why the Episcopal Church is so attractive to me, their theology is pretty wide open placed into a ritualistic ceremony that was the same when Henry VIII was alive.... But even it has bullshit I can't stand....

And in truth, I never judge you on this blog concerning your faith. Oh I teased Tara about her snake handling at one time, but in truth if there was actually "snake handling" church that wasn't 500 miles away, I would have to go one Sunday night...But in truth, what works for me, probably isn't what works for you...And in truth, that is what 'personal' faith is all about...




No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...