Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Your High School Experience?

I was watching a preview on new Netflix show yesterday in which the high school counselor spoke to the star of the show about having a " Normal high school experience."

What the hell is a normal high school experience?

I know for some high school is literal "Hell on Earth."

For others, well, they are still stuck in high school. It was the greatest 4 years of their lives.

Hell, I taught high school because even though when I was a student,  it was a combo of hell and enjoyment, somehow teaching high school, well, it was what I was supposed to do....

That said, my last 5 years of teaching, well, I hated it. I could not retire soon enough.

High school for most people is 4 years of your life. For some it makes you, for others, it breaks you, for others, well, little is done.

I know after Christmas of the 2010-2011 school year, I almost quit several times,( I was eligible to retire) including not coming back from Spring Break...and another time, I got mad during a TAKS test. I was given a menial job to do and felt slighted, and then was told several things by the person who assigned me the job. I was on my way to the office at one point from the "Senior" end when I was stopped and was side railed. Seniors were starting to "show up." I felt I needed to be there and make the year.

High school is often a strange place.  And I know some of you don't understand why people "liked" it, and others hated it.

I wonder if in 25-50-75-100 years, the whole high school experience will change so dramatically, we in 2020 won't recognize it? Perhaps, we really need it to change dramatically?

That said, in 100 years, none of us reading the blog will be around to know...Heck in 25 years, I doubt I'll be around.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...