Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Groundhog

I know a lot of you are complaining that it is " Groundhog's Day"....And it seems like we are starting month number 11 of the lockdown, and honestly, while I sort of enjoy being a homebody, I miss the fact it is now sort of an trip of only necessities now and to be honest, we were pretty much set for this type of situation.

I hope there is a time period in the Summer we'll be able to re-stock for hurricane season. Then again, I may need to start having Amazon ship in what I may need.

The life at the Compound has changed. As you know my wife is in a medical field, and while it is not one on the front lines, we still take some precautions.

We try to avoid physical contact, try to stay a distance apart. I've not kissed my wife in I know almost a month.

I have been relegated to the kid's bedroom for now, and to be honest, I am having a difficult time resting. Different mattress, it is actually nicer than the one we have in the master bedroom, but I miss the wife sleeping beside me.

Seriously, I miss the noises, the snoring, the thrashing about like a caged animal trying to escape that I have become accustomed to in the last almost 39 years. To be honest, last night, I missed the body heat, I got cold.

I understand some of you are all upset about there possibly not being graduation ceremonies.

I do not remember graduation being as big a deal back in the 70s as it is today. We did not have an operation graduation, all these photos, I don't even remember my parents making it as big a deal as it is today. I remember my parents reminding me, " You've got to be a work in the morning at 5:30am, don't stay out too late." I remember going to Patrizi's and having grilled flounder with a couple of other people I had gone to school with and was home in bed by 11pm.

Our son is scheduled to graduate from a fairly elite program( <5% acceptance to the program), next month and UT has already said there will be no ceremonies. I had already bought a new suit, shoes, bow-tie for the event, and while we would have loved to have gone, we'll get over it.

We are just hoping he'll be able to find a job sooner rather than later with his degree. Especially in this economy.

Have it later, have it next year, I don't know how you're going to have it without either leaving people out, or exposing people to the virus.

The ceremony is nice, but it isn't the end all. I have done "High-Church" weddings in which I wore a gown and stole. Used the long, drawn out " Rite I" ceremony of the Book of Common Prayer....I have married folks in a driving rainstorm in the parking lot of Tractor Supply, with the couple in the backseat of my SUV. ...Both couples are married according to the state.

These are extraordinary times. Life is not fair. It never has been. Go on with your life. Quit dwelling on one part, one day out of 70-80 years worth of days.....You say "good morning" in truth, it's a good day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...