Saturday, June 20, 2020

Evadale?????? Over Under???

I know that we have gone over this before on the 'old' blog, but in the light of today's events, we'll visit it again....

Last evening the Birdville ISD Board of Trustees voted to change the name of one of their schools from the " Rebels." And to do away with all old Confederate symbolism associated with the name " Rebels."

I have wondered for years how Evadale has gotten away with not just the " Rebel" name, but the Confederate flag/ Confederate Kepi cap on the side of their gym?

And I have wondered what it would take for it to be gone?

The TEA to step in? ( Say change or lose accreditation? Don't bet against that happening. )

The UIL to say it has to change?

Black kids from other schools to refuse to show up in Evadale and play ball?

NBC News to show up and do a story? 

The owners of the paper mill saying change it?

A loss in Federal funding?

You know, I can see keeping the " Rebel" nickname, try and associate it with a " James Dean " type " Rebel Without a Cause."

I don't know what the over/under at Vegas might be on a change.

Less than 10 years?

More than ten?










No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...