Monday, June 29, 2020

Well, This Took 45 Years

And I guess my hypocrisy is somewhat done....At least in this area.

For years, I have preached vaccinations.

We always vaccinated Reid.

When April came from China, one of the first things we did was take her to the Jefferson County Health Clinic and get her up to date on her vaccinations.  ( Reid and Deb both insisted)

But Kerry Thomas has not had vaccinations since 1975 at least, that's when I started college.

I had a pneumonia shot today.

And I had a Tdap shot ( Typhoid, diphtheria, Whopping Cough)

The Tdap has made me ill. I knew it would. My last Tetanus made me sick 45 years ago.

I am running temp. My left arm where they put the shot is like I've been beaten with a bat. I feel awful.

So, why? Because it made you ill?

In 1977, a group of boys I grew up with and I spent a good potion of Spring Break from college camped on either Sam Rayburn, Dam B, or Toledo Bend.

Fishing, swimming, maybe having an adult beverage or two. Maybe having a cigar or 8.

And always, some girls would show up. I know one time, one of the girls had interest in dating me, but I was too damn dumb to realize she did....I am glad I was dumb. I wound up with my " prize of the century." My prize was smart enough to know, I didn't have a clue....And asked me out....

But I digress.

One girls who visited was Patti Call.  Smart girl, she was interested in one of the other boys, but he didn't have a clue.....

Sorry, sometimes we guys are pretty thick when it comes to romance. 

Patti had been accepted to Baylor on a full academic scholarship. She was a couple of years younger than us, and in those days you needed all sorts of vaccination to attend Baylor. Several rounds of shots( Missionaries from nations all over the earth sent their kids there, and the kids often had been exposed to some really odd illnesses while parents were on the mission field.)

Patti went to her doctor to get her first round of vaccinations and in  round one was a tetanus shot.

On the drive home she had a bad reaction, and passed away. She drove off the highway into a large field.

They determined it was the tetanus. She had a reaction.

This happened 5 days after her visit to see us. 

Ever since then, I have been apprehensive to get any type vaccination. 45 years worth of apprehension.....Today, I manned up and got the shots.

Yes, the Tetanus has made me sick. My left arm is sore, feels like I've been beaten. I am running a temp of 99.7F. Was a little sick to my stomach.....But I am still with us.







No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...