Thursday, July 9, 2020

You Knew This Would Come Up PNG

For years when the PNG-ISD was asked about the nickname used by the school's teams, the Indians, the school district would wave around a " blessing" they had received from a Chief in the Cherokee Nation from 1979.

41 years ago.

So, in the last couple of days, the present Chief of the Cherokee Nation has sent a letter to the Supt. of Schools and the Board of Trustees asking them to stop using the name " Indian" in their nickname.

And of course, the people in PNG have gone nuts.

Now that the Cherokee Nation has revoked their "blessing" PNG is basically telling the Nation...." Fuck You" we'll do whatever we want.

I don't know. I live with a PNG grad. When I met her she bled PNG purple. It has changed when an eye opening event occurred to us in the early 2000s, in an event that upended our lives and in reality, getting out of PNG was the best thing that ever happened to us. Literally LCM-ISD was a Godsend to us.

But never say never PNG.

Demographics in the state are changing.

I can see at some point the UIL mandating change. ( The world changes folks)

Oh it might not be tomorrow or next year, or the year after, but you know it is coming.

Let me suggest new names.

The Refinery Rats
The Fightin' Coonasses( The places is full of them...and I am part Coonass, that way I can be " offended")
The Explosion( TPC)
The Melanomas



No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Men, This One's for You....And it Ain't Good.....

 I've been going to more and more funerals here lately.  Part of it, well, most of it is my age.  That said, I am appalled at the way me...