Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Yankee-Ass Carpetbagger

 So, as many of you know, Austin, Texas is being inundated with people from California, hell, other states. 

I remember being able to go in the late 80s-early 90s to Austin and being able to actually drive around. Hell, we used to go to eat Mexican food. 

The last time we went was to get my teacher retirement started and even then, it was a nightmare to drive in downtown Austin.

I wouldn't drive in Austin on a bet. I do everything to avoid it now and drive around the city now to visit my brother and his family out in Llano. 

Austin, while it was always a " cool" place to be, has grown like mad in the last 10-20 years. Mostly due to Yankees moving into the town. Yes, Californians are Yankees in my view. 

So, a sales executive with Hamamatsu, a photo/camera company wrote a group of Tweets  why he and his family moved from San Diego, CA to Austin, then back to California.    

Among his complaints-

-High property taxes( You got 5 kids, you got to pay for schools somehow. You give up a state income tax in exchange.)

-High water and light bills.

- School too militaristic and strict. ( Hell, I am going to make you behave. Even if I have to sit your ass in a desk in the parking lot in the rain.)

- High School football and it being a social event. ( You moved into Austin Westlake's District. They won the 6A state championship a week ago.....What do you expect?) 

- The mosquitoes and the cedar allergies. ( Hell, mosquitoes are better there, try Beaumont or Houston for mosquitoes. And all of Texas has some sort of allergies.....It's what happens when you have some 'green" stuff.

- No place to hike. Too much privately owned property you can't use. (Yeah, come walk across land I own or have control over. I might shoot your ass.) 

- Hated Enchanted Rock. ( Yeah I see it, I was not impressed either.)

- Had to drive 40 miles to find a Southern Indian Restaurant. ( You're in Texas. Ain't you supposed to be eating Mexican food?.......And I couldn't tell you the difference between Southern and Northern Indian food.)

-He complained about it being cold in the Winter.( Better than Minnesota here)

- He REALLY complained about how hot it was in Summer and how much it cost to keep his house cool.( You're in Texas, what did you expect?)

- He was unhappy how rude people in Austin were and how poor they drove. ( I guess so, it's full of Yankees now and the city planner have just not kept up with road construction.) 

But Austin has always been "different" than the rest of the state. The seat of government. A massive university, it has always had a "cool" factor even when I was in college. It isn't like the rest of the state. 

I can't imagine what he would say if he had moved to say " Beaumont." Especially when he griped about " Nothing to do."

You need to do some research before you move anyplace.....Especially a move across several states and sounds like he didn't. 

But, it is a Yankee moving back. All I can say.....

It's a start. 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...