Thursday, April 22, 2021

Satan is Good, Satan is Your Pal!

 So, I got to looking at classes you now have to take at Lamar University in order to earn a B.A. in History.

Most of the classes are the same, still have to do a Historical Research class.( I took it from Peter Isaac back in the day) Still have to do World Civilization Surveys. 

But now you have to complete a junior-level US History class covering America from the Gilded Age until 1945. Why that particular period of time, I do not know?

And I look to see what courses are offered at the senior level.

- American Revolution and Early National Era. This class has been taught at Lamar forever. I know when I was there Marion Holt was the instructor.  She taught that class 35 years. I liked Marion, she was very laid back and relaxed. Good teacher. She would buy chili for Canterbury Club when St. Mark's was having the chili sale fund raiser. There was chili in the Canterbury Club for a week afterwards.

- Samurai and Ninjas. I looked up the course and the description was poor.  Not sure if it was discussing the dynasties during that time period? Or the 5% of the Japanese population who were Samurai and Ninjas. 

Finally I was stunned when I saw this class. 

-Witchcraft and the Occult in Early Modern Europe. 

I can just see that on a transcript of some want to be history teacher in East Texas. I can just see the 2A or 3A school board when they see that included, a Witchcraft History course on a transcript of some history teacher's teaching application . 

Now I can see the class as graduate class......But how many high school lessons in reality are you going to get out of the Witchcraft Class? 

Hell, how many lessons are you going to get out of a Samurai class? You'd be better off offering a Modern China 1912-Present or an Imperial China 221 BC to 1912 AD class.  

I don't know. Undergraduate history classes are supposed to help teachers prepare to teach.....And I don't see two of the 3 classes helping much....If at all....( And I wonder who is now teaching Texas History now that Mr. Taucer's buddy, has retired?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...