Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Buna Parents ( And Others) Did You Receive this Letter( Or Email)?

 Had not planned to blog again today, when I received a photo of a letter from Buna Schools. 

It seems that one of their child's teachers was without a teacher's certificate. They were not happy about it. And who can blame them?

This was at the secondary level. 

I know it is hard to get people who want to teach school. I know. Why'd you think I went ahead and took "early retirement?" ( I had my points in, and it was enough. I could feel the entire thing changing. The kids, the parents, the administration.....)

In the letter, the administrator explains that the teacher has a bachelor's degree and is...

" Very knowledgeable in their subject area......" 

Whatever the hell that means? 

If they know their subject, tell us how many hours in the field they are teaching does this person have? 

Example, I have 81 hours in the Social Studies area. ( In the old days, and I still think it is the same at Lamar, it takes 30 hours to get a degree in a field. And I think UT-Austin still requires 30 hours of a bachelor's degree. And it got "out of control" for the ole Govteach, thus 81 hours.)

 And, they are working on their certification through an " alternative program." Which means, they really didn't want to teach when the graduated from school,  but I need a job.....

More and more people are graduating from colleges with degree that, normally you would go ahead and get a teacher's certification, because you knew you were going to be in the classroom.

( Apparently, some are claiming they are certified? But are not????? This is according to parents.)

I don't know. 

44% of teachers quit the first 5 years. 80% are looking elsewhere for work. Teaching isn't for the faint of heart. 

And then again, I had someone tell me the other day, that 80% of teachers at the secondary are not doing anything, and that their kids aren't learning a damn thing. (I need to address this.....Make everyone mad at me.)

People, the world, kids, heck everything is changing, quickly and you see it every day. 

It's getting harder and harder to find people to " deal with your kids." And it is hard to do. ( Deal with kids....and parents....and administrators.....)

And I am afraid it is going to get worse.....Before it gets better..... If it ever does....

I am wondering what teaching, schools, education will look like in 10 years?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay, Okay, We Go There......This Blog is for 'Some' Buna Folks.....

 So, over the last week, I've had more people show up in my DM's and PM's that well...... These are people I have not a clue who...