Friday, September 18, 2026

Well, In Truth, You Can Do Whatever.....However, You Can Show Some Class.....

 The world changes and well, I am getting old. 

I know there needs to be changes in life, especially in the schools....

But I was somewhat surprised to learn that the Bune Band was not marching at halftime of homecoming....Heck, in my town, a lot of people show up just to see the band march at half, or did.....

My senior year in high school, I remember an old guy walking behind a bunch of band students saying, " Fuck football, I am here to see the Vidor Band."

But that was 52 years ago.... 

I know they have toned it down and Charles Smith and Ronnie Touchstone are long gone, both of which I knew, but it was the thing to see when I was playing in the band.....

Yes, they crowned the Homecoming Queen none of which I remember, and did it while playing the song from the musical " South Pacific" " Some Enchanting Evening. " ( Yeah, the song was awful.) And the Homecoming Court walked off the field. 

Afterwards 

-  The stadium lights were turned off. 

- And the band stepped off to "Cyrus the Great" by K.L. King, and we had flashlights taped under our pants, to our legs with masking or duct tape.  Marching itself was simple, it was all follow the leader and you hoped the woodwind player lead knew where they were going.

- And it was followed by massive Fourth of July type fireworks blowing up over the top of the field, so load, people in Beaumont could hear the explosions.  Loud, bright, scary, and fantastic all at once, and crap falling out of the sky on top of us as we march.

- There were junior high band kids in full uniform lighting up the yard-lines that had placed flares every 10 yards on both sides of the field....

-Meanwhile about 10-12 twirlers were on the yard-lines twirling fire.    

- If that was not enough assault on your senses, there were 2 fireboards of fireworks hanging on the goal posts, that were lit turning night into day, if it was not bright enough already.

- And in typical Vidor fashion we march off the field to a 17th Century Russian Christmas Hymn....( And I see Vidor is still wearing Napoleonic War style uniforms, very similar to what the Prussian Army wore in 1815 at the Battle of Waterloo)

- There was enough smoke on the field when the lights came back on, you expect the British Royal Commandos to come running out with Lord Levitt shouting " Up the action boys!"  

You can't make this up, I dare you to try.....

And I understand, and an extravaganza today would bankrupt most schools. 

And if you remember, I played in my college marching band for 4 years, and well, it wasn't the same as high school just wasn't, and for some reason, I kept signing up for it.  ( One of those foreordained deals, I have been married to the reason for 45 years.....And I almost signed up to complete my college PE requirement playing softball, and if you really know me, you'd know how much I loved playing baseball/softball. And as I signing up, I came so close to writing down that 11AM softball course, and well, I said, maybe one more band year, make it 4 years....God works in mysterious ways.)

And I understand well, you can do what the hell ever you want to do in Buna at halftime.  

Here is what the blog is actually about.....

I know tonight most of you will be tired at the end of the ballgame. Long week, boss is an asshole, employees are nit-wits and assholes, you've been thinking since the 3rd quarter how good of a sammich that ham in the ice box would make when you get home.....

Stay another 20-30 minutes and watch the Buna Marching Band at the end of the ballgame.

The kids are working hard for the UIL Marching Contest. It is a big deal for these kids. 

You don't know how much the kids will appreciate it. 

That ham will still be waiting for you in the ice box when you get home.  

Show a little class tonight folks.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well, In Truth, You Can Do Whatever.....However, You Can Show Some Class.....

 The world changes and well, I am getting old.  I know there needs to be changes in life, especially in the schools.... But I was somewhat s...