Friday, December 21, 2018

Say It Ain't So Santa!!!

I do not think you know how glad I am gone. I get to write this and the numbers on the Facebook and blog are way down....and I no longer get ugly threats....

Our story this morning comes from the Beaumont ISD.

It seems that a teacher at the Marshall Middle School, (that is a junior high equivalent for you keeping score at home) asked the following question in their class.

" Do you still believe in Santa Claus?"

Three-quarters of the class raised their hand.

To which the teacher tells her students, " There is no Santa."

The entire event brings more questions than answers.

1. Why do 3/4ths of kids in a junior high still believe in Santa? Maybe it was just us, but we had to tell Reid in Kindergarten not to tell the other kids about the truth about Santa. He figured it out at about age 4. ( My son has always been a little different. He taught himself how to read at age 3. We gave him the basics and it went from there. )

2. Why did the teacher even take it upon themselves to tell them the "secret?"

You know, when I was in seminary a 100 years ago now, I was in the middle of a rousing debate, such a row, that a couple of Baptist preachers almost came to blows.( I thought I was going to have to stop Johnny Carter from beating an anti-Santa guy to death, Johnny was as nice as you could be, but Johnny was an older student, Vietnam combat vet, worked part time at the Dodge dealership in Weatherford as a mechanic in the afternoon/evenings, his arms were the size of my thighs.....I would have gotten killed trying to stop Johnny.)

The debate question was, " Maybe we should not tell our kids about Santa, or Easter Bunny, etc, because if we lie about them, are we also lying about Jesus?"

Now, we did Santa, etc, but you know, for some kids, I can see where it can be a problem.

But, I digress.

I think my wife summed it up last night pretty well, when she said, " People today are just looking for something to gripe about. 12-13 year old kids still believing in Santa? ( Unless they are special needs) " She seriously wondered if the " kids just wanted to try and get rid of a hard teacher?"

I don't know. Once again, I do not think I could teach anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...