Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Well, I Almost Forgot....

I got busy this morning trying to catch up from not doing housework over the last few days, and then, this morning I was trying to do work and watch English Soccer.

But for my readers in the British Commonwealth...

Happy Boxing Day!

I actually remembered that after I called Canada trying to do some business....But everything in Britain, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and many other former British Colonies it is a holiday today.

Or if you prefer the relgious holiday....

It is the Feast of St. Stephen today....The first martyr in the Christian Church.

There is even a carol that discusses the day.  "Good King Wenceslas"

The song of course discusses the king braving the cold to give "alms to the poor." 

 Good King Wenceslas looked out, on the Feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about, deep and crisp and even;
Brightly shone the moon that night, tho' the frost was cruel,
When a poor man came in sight, gath'ring winter fuel.


And in Ireland it is Wren Day. A tradition of hunting a fake wren and placing it on top of a pole.( There are several possible stories as to why this tradition began. )

Boxing Day likewise, there are several different stories that suggest why this holiday began. It is a now a shopping day in the UK, NZ, Australia, etc. It is a day for sport in the UK as the English Premier Soccer League holds several matches. Test Cricket matches are played in New Zealand and Australia.

So, for those of you reading this in one of the Commonwealth nations....

Happy Boxing Day!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...