Monday, February 18, 2019

Another Test for Your Kid to Pass, in Order to Graduate High School

And I will be honest, I like the proposed bill. And will be honest, I think there will be people not pass.....and not graduate.

Texas House Bill 1244, will replace the old US History Exit exam and then, it would be an exam that requires all high school students to pass an exam very similar to the test given to people wanting to become American citizens. 

There would be 100 questions, multiple guess,a nd you must make a 70% in order to pass and graduate from high school.

Presently, the U.S. Citizen Exam is oral, and you must answer any of a possible 100 questions. No multiple guess. You know it, or not. Random questions are asked of the 100.

And the test....Is difficult.

Trust me, I taught U.S. Citizenship classes to people wanting to become citizens. There are 3 books.

I took the test they are proposing, and even I had to think about some of the questions. Yes, I made a 100%.  But they are by no means easy.

This comes on a study by the Woodrow Wilson Institute doing a study, and giving people exams on basic U.S. Citizenship.

60+% of Americans failed. ( And passing for this exam was a 60%...on the proposed Texas exam, passing would be 70%.)

63% of Texans failed.  

 Texas was at the bottom, number 38.

Only 3% of Texans would score an "A." 

Only 27% of people under the age of 45 could explain the Freedoms given by the First  Amendment.

My only complaint would be if I was still teaching they would do the following.

1. Change the present " government" class to a civics class. Subtle,  but there are differences.

2. The Exam would probably be given at the end of the Junior year, making the present government(civics) class an 11th grade instead of senior class.....I'd retire rather than have to teach juniors( Sorry, I got spoiled teaching seniors), or make them fire me. Make the class harder than the one you took under me.

But a test to prove you know the US Government as well as people wanting to become American Citizens?

Yes...if you are going to live here, you need to understand how the government works.

And for many of you, it is much different than what you actually think.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Men, This One's for You....And it Ain't Good.....

 I've been going to more and more funerals here lately.  Part of it, well, most of it is my age.  That said, I am appalled at the way me...