Thursday, February 21, 2019

I Wouldn't Know Where Anyway?

I understand we are somewhat limited in a rural area of East Texas, especially Southeast Texas, and once again, we have always been limited in well, just about anything.

If you are not doing so, you need to be reading Mitch Keeler's blog. 

Often thought provoking, and while I personally don't agree with, nor would I write on certain areas, his blogs are always well written, and often thought provoking.

His last two blogs covered people and their attendance at church.

As I have made clear, while I am a person of faith, I no longer attend church.

The first of the last two blogs covered the "social" aspect of church attendance.

The blog was true and to me hit home. I no longer go to church because, well, I don't feel comfortable in the denomination I grew up in.

As I posted in the comment section of Mitch's blog, I no longer have anything in common with these people.....and the sermons, well, they are boring. Or they are veiled political speeches......Or, when you preach from one of the Pauline Letters for 20 Sundays straight, well, at some point you need to realized there are 66 books in the Bible. Paul wrote 13-14 depending on your theological view of Hebrews....

And today's music in church? It's the same sound as the Top 40 station down the FM dial. Say what you want, most contemporary Christian music is stolen from some other sound.......For a while there were Christian hip-hop artists. Perhaps there still is???

I know, I have nothing in common with these people. What would I talk about in small talk? My theology and doctrine have changed.  I went to seminary, I say to myself listening to a sermon, "Preacher, you can do better. "

But fewer people are attending church in America. Fewer are going for the aspect of socialization.

And then in Mauriceville, there are very few Protestant choices.

Baptist, Pentecostal......or some non-denominational form.....The Methodist Church has not re-opened since Harvey.

You think there would be just big Pentecostal type or one big Baptist type church, but there is so much of a disagreement, theological, social, personality clash, every town in several different churches of these denominations. Some of it because people "feel comfortable" in that church. 

But go to church just for the social aspect? Yes, of course, and while most or many say they go for Jesus, many go because it is their "club." Their ' group' and look forward to going....

Now, don't be inviting me to church, don't tell me your "church is different."

There are people who go for the "social aspect." There are people who go to that church because they're all of one political belief.

No, I can see someone saying something to me after reading the blog. I have some views that are not very 'Baptist" and certainly not very "Pentecostal."

I'll just talk to Jesus on my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Men, This One's for You....And it Ain't Good.....

 I've been going to more and more funerals here lately.  Part of it, well, most of it is my age.  That said, I am appalled at the way me...