Thursday, February 7, 2019

Not This UIL?

Love it, hate it, cuss it......I know I have cussed the UIL more than you know.....Hell, I know at least once, Mr. Taucer caught something and kept me off the back page of the UIL's Leaguer magazine. ( It is the place where people who get in trouble are published) And I will be eternally grateful.

So, I see something in the Dallas papers concerning the UIL and I read the article.

So, if you now have a child involved in Marching band, that child has to have a physical before Marching Band starts.

When I read it, I went....." What the hell?"

We never did a physical and I did band for well, almost 12 years of my life, if you include university.

But, I got to thinking...Yeah, today, it might be wise.

This is no longer a rural state. 85% of all kids live in 20 of the 254 counties of this state. School is out and these kids spend all summer, " sucking up the air condition" inside, a large number playing video games all summer. There ain't a kid picked a pea or rode a bicycle in these counties.

Yeah, they need to go and get a physical. You would be amazed at how many of these kids pass out in the heat, the first week of band practice. ( I know some schools already require physicals for band)

Then, I read that there is a "State Mariachi Band" contest.

55 bands will go to state this year.

Trouble is, this is pretty much leaving out much of the state. It just is. I don't see Buna, or PNG, or Mt Vernon ever spending the money for a Mariachi Band. South Texas? Sure. West Texas? Sure. Maybe urban districts.....

It is sort of like wrestling and soccer. There is just not enough interest( or kids) in a lot of smaller schools. ( The smallest soccer district is 4A)( That said, I see soccer growing in Texas, I know in urban areas, there are a lot of kids playing in high school) And the more we learn about football injuries, the more people will keep their kids from playing.

Then, I see that Robotics and  Copy Editing be added at the UIL Academic level as "Official" events. I know Robotics was on "trial" basis for a while. And Robotics is a good move. We are headed that way.

( I am still trying to figure out how UIL Accounting has survived? Maybe it has made a comeback? There used to be two schools in our district send two teams...ECISD and Buna....And I picked a team before contest knowing with the numbers alone we'd get medals....and more importantly, points.)

I remember when there was an attempt to make a UIL Economics an academic contest. I even went to the inaugural meeting and knew 10 minutes in it was never going to work. Rather than try it out on a state wide basis, they put the trial in the Valley. Why there I do not know? But the lady out of Brownsville ISD did a good job and had a success until, the powers that be, decided that the contest should be a majority of microeconomics.....Microeconomics doomed the contest.

So, old habits die hard, being UIL Director, well, old habits die hard.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Men, This One's for You....And it Ain't Good.....

 I've been going to more and more funerals here lately.  Part of it, well, most of it is my age.  That said, I am appalled at the way me...