Friday, March 1, 2019

Even MORE Letters from South Jasper County

Apparently I hit a nerve on the blog from a couple of days ago. And to be honest, it was to be expected.

Sometimes, well, stuff needs to be said.  And I had big reads over the topic.....

Not everyone in the community thinks like you do.....You may want to think so, but no, they do not so....Here is some of the additional mail in the old Govteach's mailbags.

These are in addition to the comments on Facebook.

" I read the blog, but my husband and I are scared the kids will find the blog." 

It is not for kids, I don't want them reading it either. I've always said if I was a pastor I wouldn't let anyone in my church services under age say, age 13-14,  à la Dr Gene Scott.....Sometimes grown folks need to discuss grown stuff.....I also wonder if we push kids in certain churches to be "saved?" I know I made a profession of faith at age 7.....And questioned my salvation for years afterward. I finally came to terms with my faith AFTER seminary.

" My teen reads the blog......"

I wouldn't worry, they'll be alright. I often am on their level. My teenage nephews think " Uncle Kerry Don" is the coolest person on the planet.....They'll grow out of it....

And I received a couple of letters like this....

 "I always thought the Heavens Gates Hells Flames thing was incredibly wrong and disturbing. I went one time in college cause a friend I had that was still in high school was a character in it. Afterward I told her it was a horrible thing she should not be involved in. I was really disturbed by it."

And this....

" I wouldn't let my child go...."  

Look, you have to make your own decision about stuff. I could just see my kid going and coming home shaking his head about the play......Then again, my child looks at the world just a little different... I wonder who he gets it from????


As  always, thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...