Thursday, April 4, 2019

Hanging Out the Windows

So, in the news there has been a story all over the media in which the present Sec. of Education has made the claim that " Kids do better in larger class sizes."

I about fell over when I read this.

I taught school for 30+ years and never did kids do well when I had a huge number of kids in class.

One year in Dayton, I taught an Honors US History class that had 42 kids.

Yes, 42 kids, I did not have enough room for desks, I had kids sit at my desk.

I was probably meaner to that class than any other class I taught in 30+ years.

I had an exchange student from Japan in that class, and she stood the first day I walked in, like they do in Japan, so I made the rest of the class stand, they stood if I asked them a question, and answer like they do in a "British Public School" start every answer with "sir," and end the answer with "sir."

I was so mean, the exchange student from Japan cried for 3 days, making half the class cry with her. ( At that point I knew to "tone it down.") 

42 kids, even "Honors" kids?

Sadly, it was more about maintaining control than teaching.

Sure we learn some stuff, but not like we could have in a smaller class.....It took what seemed like forever just to take roll.

Part of the appeal of Buna was I never had a class more than 20 kids. I could "do" stuff with y'all in a smaller setting you just could not due with a large class.

Heck, I had an AP Government class one year with 3 kids. It was like teaching a class in grad school.

The larger class sizes I am certain are a way to either save money...Or it is due to a teacher shortage in this country. Literally, no one wants to put up with your kids any more. 

Large classes with huge numbers? A recipe for disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Men, This One's for You....And it Ain't Good.....

 I've been going to more and more funerals here lately.  Part of it, well, most of it is my age.  That said, I am appalled at the way me...