Thursday, May 30, 2019

Outlander-A Review

I have watched the TV version of Outlander. I have not read the books.

( At least the first 2 seasons)

Nor, do I plan to read the books.

Sorry, like TV version of a Harlequin Romance Bodice Buster type set of books, and say what you want, that's what it is.

That said the two professors( history teachers Frank and Roger) did dress like history teachers are supposed to dress.  I would have worn tweed all the time, but alas, this retired History Department Chair was predestined to dwell  in South Texas, in which it is the "flames of hell hot" from April until October most time. ( I have a wedding on Saturday to perform, and I will be wearing a "Charleston Tuxedo." Navy jacket with seersucker slacks, bowtie... I'd wear seersucker jacket, but just a bit too informal for an "officiant.")

The history was pretty dead-on. The battles, the arrogance of the French, the peremptory Bonnie Prince Charles Stuart.

The one major problem I had with the people who supported the Jacobites.

Most of the supporters were from the Northeast of Scotland, and many were not Highlanders as the show presumed.

Yes, there were Highlanders, but it made it seem like all of them, and the others were Roman Catholic.

In truth, there were fewer 

In truth, many were Highlanders and others were supporters of the Scottish Episcopal Church. ( Like the American Episcopal Church, Church of England.)

They believed that Bonnie Prince Charles would help rid Scotland of those darn Presbyterians. Thus, why many lowland Scots, who were the majority of the Scottish population and Presbyterians didn't join the Jacobites in 1745....( Seems like I know a guy who wrote a 20 page paper over the event....And early Scottish Episcopalianism. ) The crushing of the rebellion by the English just was an excuse to get rid of the clan system, the tartan. A few screw up, all suffer.

Here is my problem.

I can't stand Claire.

Has nothing to do with being a strong woman. Trust me, I am married to one. Yes, she's a nerd, but she changed the oil/filter on the tractor like a pro a couple of weeks ago...and can turn around and do academic stuff you can only dream of doing...

 I find Claire unbelievably irritating.... She's such a petulant baby from the get go. For such a seemingly intelligent woman it never occurs to her to lie low and scope out her situation as a woman in a misogynistic world. Jaime would never be acting like he would in 18th Century Scotland.

 The astoundingly self-centered grievances she comes up with: "Don't you understand what I've been going through? " Bored out of her gourd, she goes to go meddle at the hospital, taste urine, endanger our unborn child because what has Jaime been doing to entertain me?

And all of this working to ensure that Frank exists has nothing to do with poor Frank....If Frank had not married and taken her to Scotland on a second honeymoon, this little adventure, the 'second' marriage to Jaime would have never happened.

She cares nothing about Frank, she has made a choice and her choice was Jaime, not poor old Frank. He's already been tossed out like an old shoe.

Claire for the most part is like a teenager, she lives for the moment.

Like, common sense might dictate that if you find yourself transported through time to what appears to be an 18th-century Scottish castle, you don't brag-up your own mysterious healing powers,( You could get burned at the stake for witchcraft) take an acute interest in the shoulder health of the low-ranking stable boy, or debate rape culture with the Scottish Laird who has the power to take you prisoner.( If you are wanting to know about the rank of a Laird, it is close to being equal to an English Esquire. Above a Gentleman and below a Knight.....Today Laird is just an honorary title.....) 

Time and time again, she gets into trouble, and has to be bailed out.

It reminds me of the old " Peril's of Pauline."

I understand to some of you Claire is a hero, but I hate her. Sorry, I just do....








No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...