Monday, June 10, 2019

About Damn Time

I had not planned to write a blog today, actually, I had planned on doing two tomorrow, but I got this news from Austin.

Senate Bill 12, which attempts to make Texas Teacher Retirement actuarial soundness.

Not only that, it gives us old retired teachers a 13th check of $2000 in lieu of a COLA. ( We've not had a COLA since I retired)

I had held my breath about the governor signing the bill.  A promised 13th check for retired teachers fell through in the past.

I also am glad to see the TRS promised more funding. In the past, the money in TRS has been used for some questionable investments, including a F1 racetrack in Austin. ( Those of you who do not know, each teacher, school employees pays several hundred dollars into TRS each pay period. )

I know this may upset some of you, but in Texas becoming more "purple," ( More Democrats) it has caused more money for schools and classroom teachers, and the money added to the TRS. You can't tell me otherwise. The GOP has had control of Texas Government for years and they did not care for schools or retirees until there was an influx of Democrats into the Texas Legislature. 

So, some good news today...

Moral of the story? " Don't let your children grow up to be teachers." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change at Buna?

 I knew it had changed, and I really have not talked a great deal about the change until I saw it discussed on Facebook.  Yesterday and toda...