Monday, July 29, 2019

So, I Get into the Middle of a Fight

I have got to stop doing this. I seriously do. The benefits are much outweighed by the determinants.  And this was one of those times.

As many of you know, I am ordained, well, by a couple of different groups, and in a pinch, I will serve as a celebrate in marriage ceremonies.

This past Wednesday, I was asked by the home of the bride's parents to discuss the Friday night wedding.

I thought the request was odd, but I went.

The wedding was already odd. I had been asked by a family member to wear a " Clerical Collar" to perform the wedding. And had been given money to purchase one. And one of the "groups" that has ordained me has a "collar" option, but I've never worn one.....But at weddings, you get odd requests sometimes.

I show up at the bride familiar home only to discover I have walked into a hornet's nest.

Both sets of parents were in a knockdown drag out disagreement of which I really did not understand why...But, once I was there, I was asked to take one side or another.

I finally discern that the bride's parents do not think the groom is good enough for their daughter.

I sneak out of the row and go home, telling the groom to call me later.

The groom later calls me and tell me the fight is because he is " Just a school teacher."

I so wish I would have stayed now.

This is not the first time this has happened.  I've heard the opposite happen be cause the bride "taught school" and to be honest, I never understood the opposition there.

It has disturbed me in both cases.

In the first case, when the groom called, I told him, if they both really wanted to marry, forget about the money already spent on the wedding, it is gone, I would elope at this point. And told him that my maternal grandparents had gone down to the Justice of the Peace during their lunch hour in Winnsboro, Texas and gotten married because there was family who didn't think either was "good enough" for the other......The marriage only last 50+ years and produced 5 kids....I told them, bring the license to the house, and I'd still marry them...( They are both in their late 20s, neither have ever married)

Maybe I am missing something here, but is there more of an anti-teacher sentiment that I am missing? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...