Friday, August 2, 2019

Old Stuff_ Don't Know What Else to Call It?

I've been seeing more and more of this on both the internet and on some of your Facebook sites.

How much has etiquette changed since the 1940s and 1950s.....

1. Men opening doors for women? Hell, open them for everyone. men, women, children. It is just being nice. I had a teen girl hold the door open for me. I thanked her and told her " Your Mom and Dad taught you well."

2. Men paying for the first date? I don't know, my wife and I went on a " first date" after a Lamar football game and it was a spur of a moment deal. Neither of us expect us to "go out" and we pooled our money......I think perhaps guys should pay for the first date, but heck, now days especially after you've been dating for a while, who cares? Seriously, who cares?

3. Men having a woman walk on the right side? Some think it should be away from street side? The woman walking on the right came from old days when men carried swords and the swords were drawn from the left side. It was a way not to hit the lady when you draw the sword. I you are trying to protect the lady walking on the street side, but danger can come from either side.

4. Men wearing hats indoors. Back in the 40s and 50s when all men wore hats, there were hat and coat racks for such. Now, if you wear one into a restaurant, etc., you have to keep your hat with you. Now I take the hat off inside, and in the Fall/Winter wear a flat cap so I can stuff it in a pocket, but wearing a hat inside? Unless it is church, who cares? And then, I was in Cork, Ireland for Easter services at the Anglican Cathedral, and men my age were wearing wool caps inside, it was cold as hell inside, and no one cared....

5. Suits for interviews. In the old days, men wore suits for interviews, even for blue-collar jobs. Today, you'd be laughed out the building, but for those of you working in an office, teaching school, etc., I don't know. How many people wear a suit to work now? Lawyers, financial, etc., yes I would. I have not had a job interview in 25+ years. I know I wore 3 different suits when I interviewed for Buna ISD, and actually sort of stunned the interviewer then.....If I was forced to interview for teaching position today, I would wear a suit, or if in winter a "Tweed" coat. Nothing says academic/ history teacher more than tweed. But this is just me.

6. Shaking a women's hand. In the old days, you waited for the lady to extend her hand. Today, shake the ladies hand. Extend the hand. I know I had this beat into my head for years by my parents. But the world has changed.  Extend the hand.

7. Elbows on table.....This also came from the old days when most dinner tables were not very strong and not able to hold much weight. This was a practical rule that just carried over. I try not to, but I am not going to go nuts seeing it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...