Sunday, August 25, 2019

Sunday Morning Philosophy

 " Philosophy is a walk on slippery rocks" - Edie Brickell

Nothing better than a little philosophy on a Sunday morning.....After all for many of you I was PPE instructor like the British want to call it. ( PPE Politics, Philosophy, Economics...or as they call it the "Modern Greats."  The " Greats " of course are the "Classics" Greek, Latin and the history that surround those civilizations)

But, I didn't get to teach as much philosophy as I wanted. I didn't have the time and to be honest, when I discovered I had to teach many of you simple math, hardcore economics was out. ( Seniors in high school and you didn't know your times tables. Damn calculators)

And if I taught you philosophy like was once taught at theological seminaries in this nation, well, some of you evangelicals couldn't handle it.

I was watching a 24 hour news channel this past week when the discussion of the earth "is just an experiment for an advanced civilization."

It seems a computer scientist has published a book that poses the question......

" We are just an advanced "sims" game being run by an advanced civilization. "

I’m neither real nor alive and neither are you. Nor is anyone we know. Nor is our planet or for that matter our entire universe. We’re all merely computer simulations created by an advanced civilization in some sort of weird experiment that they’re conducting for reasons best known to themselves.

Scientists are wanting to run experiments to see if this might be true.

Which leads to the question, what happens if we find out we are just a giant sims run by another civilization as an experiment? What if we all find out that is so? Does the advanced civilization just "shut us down?"

Descartes had a similar idea centuries ago. He asked if we would know if an “evil demon” was creating all of our sensations and perceptions and that the world in which we inhabit was just his “dream.” Descartes’ answer was No. Isn’t this just an example of “waking the demon?"

Just something to think about while you're on your way to church....

Oh, by the way, the " experts" when asked on the 24 hour news station " What are the chances this is just a computer simulation?"

Both replied 5 in 10.....50%.....

I don't think I really want to know....Or maybe I do?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...