Monday, November 18, 2019

And You Know Buna ISD Would Do This in a Heartbeat

Maybe they have already and I just, well, missed it. I leave the country and miss things, and to be honest, I don't give a good shit what's going on back home ( Unless the Compound is about to flood, like it did when we were in Thurso.)

But, I digress.....Again....

I was sent a PM by some from the area, ex-student, who will remain nameless.

It seems the Como-Pickton ISD will be holding classes in New Testament  and Old Testament  in the future. The board approved 7-0.

Now, the ISD is in Hopkins County, near where my Mom's people are from, I even had a great-aunt who was the June Burke/Tandy Boyd of the old Pickton ISD before the two schools consolidated.  She taught high school English and was like every other English teacher in America. ( Why is that? My HS English teacher was like this when dinosaurs roamed the earth.)

So, I know what the ISD is like.....Pretty much every smaller school district in East Texas.

And if I was there, they'd look at my transcript( Lamar used to offer Bible classes as electives, I took 12 hours, the max because they were easy for me.....It's where I first came in contact with the Episcopal Church at the old Canterbury Club....The Episcopal Priest was teaching the Four Gospels Course.) And then I went to a theological seminary.

Like a bullseye on my back...

It'd be a fucking nightmare.

How would I handle the conflicts in the Bible between predestination and free-will?

How would I handle the Song of Solomon? It's pretty racy stuff?

How would I handle the fact the Bible says the earth is only 6000 years old? ( I believe it is millions upon millions)

How would I tell them Baptists the "Water into wine" was actually real wine, not Welch's Grape Juice?

How would I handle the Book of Leviticus and the prohibition against pork, lobster, and shrimp? ( I could see me eating a piece of bacon that day in class.)

How would I breach the concept of Hell? ( You know, I have Mormon friends whose concept and teaching on Hell is closer to my own belief than I care to admit....)

How would I explain that "East of the Suez, there's no Ten Commandments " as Kipling wrote?( Ten Suggestions as some of you believe)

How would I handle that entire "End of Time" and "Rapture" discussion? ( Rapture is a 19th Century concept, there is no "Rapture" in the Bible.)

I literally could see me getting fired for this.....Or if I was at the end of my career, pulling up and retiring at Christmas break.

Then again, I could make it soooooo hard, no one would take the class....






No comments:

Post a Comment

So, I Wrote a Blog on This Over a Year Ago.....And STILL Get Hate Mail....

 And it has NOTHING to do with the Buna ISD.....I was told, "Yeah, they get mad at you, but at some point, even if they don't admi...