Saturday, November 30, 2019

You Just Don't Know...Do Ya?

I don't know, perhaps, I am stupid just to expect people to know stuff....That old assume.....Make an ass out of you and me concept.

Yesterday morning I made a comment about Emma Stone going parking with her boyfriend, that I later took down because I had two people write me and ask...." What's "parking."

Younger readers, I do have a few. I thought at first they were " teasing" the old Govteach.

Alas, they were not.

I've been out of the "bidness" for almost a decade now, and well, I don't really understand the teenage mind like I once did....

Parking, well, it was at least in the 1970s was a social interaction in which a couple, generally a boy and girl found a dark lonely spot generally off in the woods of rural Orange County as I remember to " swap spit."

Sort of a science experiment if you will....

In those days, most vehicles had bench seats, even pick-up trucks, a seat that went from one side of the vehicle's door to the other side's door. In the front and back seats, making these " science experiments" easier to conduct.

Some of these even resulted in reproduction occurring, as birth control was not readily available as it is today.

In the 70s, to find a prophylactic, you would either have to go to the one gas station in town with a machine ( Billups, whose slogan was...." Fill-up with Billups, your Friend.") to buy a questionable at best condom out of the machine in the dirtiest bathroom in North America. ( Who knows what quality or how long it had been in that machine, plus, they were made of " sheep skin." The prophylactic made of a lamb intestine, used in 18th Century Scotland originally.   )

Or you'd have to ask your local pharmacist for one, because they were kept in a drawer a behind the counter...The same druggist who sat down the pew with you at the Baptist church on Sunday's.....

And in those days, doctor's wouldn't just write prescriptions for birth control pills. Generally, it was a gynecologist who wrote those for girls who were getting married in a month or so.....

So, a lot of us, when we parked it only went so far. Even in college. ( Gotta complete that degree man...)

You've got to remember in those days, you got a girl pregnant, you had to get married. Or if the boy disappeared, the girl would disappear for 9 months, often under the guise of living with a sick family member or visiting grandma for a year, when in truth, they were in the Edna Gladney Home for Unwed Mother's in Fort Worth......Adopted out the child....

And it wasn't just guys who "ran outta gas" ( a euphemism for parking for you uneducated.) I've been with girls who have suggested places or  heck, I was even with a girl who was driving who " ran outta gas."

I was down FM 1135 coming back down it from Bridge City and looked over, and saw a side road and said to myself, " I've been down that dirt road a couple of times before." 

Anyway, history lesson this morning for you youth.

I am guessing the world as changed....Or perhaps it hasn't.....Them kids are coming from someplace....








No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...