Friday, December 20, 2019

Buna Beacon

I read the Beacon's posts on a fairly regular basis. Especially, when a news worth event takes place in the community.

It's not a secret that I know the publisher and know people who work for the paper from time to time.

Honestly, I think they do a really great job for a small town weekly.

Earlier today, the Beacon posted on its Facebook page, a story about a former employee of the Buna ISD getting into trouble and being arrested for an alleged crime.

I was amazed at the number of people who were upset about the posting.

Folks, it is called "NEWS."

Yes, sometimes people who are not involved in the alleged crime, are embarrassed. I am sorry it happens.

I don't hear most of these people say " What about the kids and parents?' When it is someone they do not know.

I'm sorry the Beacon is a responsible paper.

If they don't do news, they'll be down to scores from the ballgame and recipes. And even there, people will be upset because the team lost, or my kid's name wasn't mentioned, or I'm allergic to the recipe they printed because it contains peanuts. 

Many of you only support the First Amendment when it suits you.

They generally print unbiased news. Rarely do I see a great deal of controversial opinion pieces.

As I have said for years, read The Govteach Part Deaux if you want an editorial, it's about 80% opinion.

You want to keep the Beacon. Seriously. Support the businesses who advertise in the paper, and tell management you either found the sale in the Beacon, or you appreciate them supporting the local press. I was in a commercial supported media for a period of time, and the businesses who advertise like to hear the people are reading/listening to what their business have to offer.

Beacon, keep up the good work. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hang In There Buna ISD......

 I generally write teachers, students, whoever is associated with the district about this time of year.  When writing this, it is April 30th...