Sunday, December 29, 2019

Okay Ladies, This One is for You

So, again, I am minding my own business when I see on the Facebook, several posts that go something like this....

" It is the 20s again in about 2 days, men, it is time to start wearing tailored suits again. "

And it has a picture of the guys from the TV show Peaky Blinders, dressed in traditional winter type fare.

Tweed jackets, pants, a waistcoat ( that's a vest) and the guys wearing not only a flat cap like I often wear this time of year, a fedora type hat, and the men with watch chains, ( silver or gold) with I assume a pocket watch in the pocket of their vests.

Very well dressed for the time. And everyone male dressed that way.  Tweed is a warm fabric because the TV show takes place in England, and England is cold year round. ( We would have to wear a linen suit or a cotton suit or a tropical wool suit during our summers.)

And to be honest the tweed worn by the British really was seen as a more academic or "country" type dress. Academic because tweed was an inexpensive fabric and professors/teachers have never been paid well no matter the time period. The patches on elbows traditionally were repairs so the teacher could keep the jacket, as the elbows were normally the first thing to wear out.  ( Leaning on a desk, grading papers. Leaning on podium lecturing.... One elbow wears out, patch both so it won't look 'funny.' )

Hey, I am all for it....I love tweed and often wore it when I was teaching in the Fall-Winter. I often told my wife when I put tweed on in the morning, I was " Putting on the uniform."

The real question is this.

Ladies, would you be willing to go back to the dress of women in the 1920s?

Always a dress or a skirt, often they wore hats. And always wore stockings. Not pantyhose, stockings. Which means a garter belt to hold up the stockings. ( Suspenders is what the English call a garter belt)....And trust me, I grew up and was in high school when the change from stockings to pantyhose occurred. Heck, girls could not wear pants until I was in like 7th-8th grade and then it had to be a matching pantsuit. Top and bottoms had to match.

And honestly ladies, there is nothing sexier than a glimpse of a leg with a garter holding up a stocking.

Nothing.

I doubt many of you reading this have even worn a garter or stocking of that fashion, that were not worn in an outfit for your significant other.( And I hope he ( or she) appreciated it...If not, shame on them.)

So ladies, you want us men to dress better, look like we are in the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, hey, it isn't too much for us to ask the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...