Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Buna...Drug testing?

You knew I had to go here. Just had to.

It seems the Buna ISD is going to install some form of a drug testing for students.

From the wording on the website, this will involve people in extra-curricular activities. Not the general student body.

https://www.bunaisd.net/258458_2

And it makes me wonder.

- What about a kid who gets a "false positive?" Sorry, those tests are not 100%.

- I wonder if this will actually be enforced the same way for all students?

- What drugs will be tested? Marijuana?  Cocaine? Opiates? Speed( Meth)? ( There was a state-wide test for steroids for athletes, cost millions of dollars and so few kids tested positive, they dropped the program)

- I know we had the testing done in our local school district and the night before, our charge took a large dosage of a prescription strength hydrocodone( Vicodin) cough syrup.  Prescribed by their doctor. I assumed I would be taking the bottle to the school with the prescription. But no, it didn't even show up.

- And this won't even include about half the student body not even involved in any extra-curriculars.

- And then, what about the number one drug used by most high school people in school? Alcohol. Most drug tests are not even included and even if you do test, drink Friday and Saturday night, by Monday that stuff is out of your urine.

- And those who fail, what type stigma will be attached and haunt them 30 years later?( You know word gets out) How many who fail will decide, I'll just go to school and to heck with extra-curricular.

To those of you who think the faculty should be taking the same test, there are many of us on serious prescriptions, many of which that would show up in a standard drug test, and as porous as most schools are, I can just see the fact that Mrs. XXXXX is on a serious anti-depressant. Or Mr. XXXXX takes a serious opiate just to function. Or Miss XXXXX is on Adderall and has been since they were a child. I can see word being leaked out about what teachers are taking...You start getting rid of these people, who you going to replace them with? Buna can't find teachers now.

 In the end, I wonder what money will be spent on this involving  extra-curricular activities which could actually be used for an academic classroom.  ( I wonder if every social studies class has their their own set of chart maps?)






No comments:

Post a Comment

Change at Buna?

 I knew it had changed, and I really have not talked a great deal about the change until I saw it discussed on Facebook.  Yesterday and toda...