Monday, May 25, 2020

A Racist Blog?

I am going to see if I can write this blog and not get into too much trouble.

The write of this blog got to looking at the graduates of the University of Texas.

Not those in the Master's programs, but the other colleges, just as a curiosity.

The reason why is this, I could not teach in an urban setting in this state. I could not.

I noticed the number of kids who graduated with my son in his program and the number of kids with Indian and African surnames, well, it was a nightmare of vowels and consonants. Hell, I understand why so many of them given themselves English first names like my Chinese family. ( Somehow I have no trouble with Chinese and Islamic surnames)

I thought it was the program Reid was in, a fairly exclusive program, and STEM degree.( SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY ENGINEERING MATH) And he leans that way.

So, as I eluded to earlier in this blog, I started looking at the other schools.

I looked at two I know fairly well, the Liberal Arts ( History, Gubmint, English, Economics etc...) and the Department of Education.....Yes, there were Smith's and Jones' and Macmillan's. But they were only about 40% of the departments. ( I was amazed how many of the " education" majors were " Sport Management" majors, all I could think of was, " How many of these do we need?" In the Liberal Arts, they were mostly " Economics" majors and " Government" majors, not shock there. The English majors look how they did in the 70s......And you would be hard pressed to find a History major........But even here, they were not Anglo-Saxon names....We're talking about undergrad degrees here.

Here goes the really racist part.

Is this now the University of Texas? Or is this now indicative of where the brain power is located in state?

And don't give me well, A&M this, A&M that, A&M still has an undergrad acceptance rate of 70+%. The acceptance rate at UT is in the 35%.

As I have said and most of you " Ostrich with head in sand" ignore what I am saying, Texas is changing. Changing dramatically.

This is not a rural state anymore. I know you live in Jasper, or Newton or Hardin or Orange Counties and can't see this anymore. There is an HEB Super Store East of Barber's Hill in what was a rice and soybean field.....Next time you drive to Houston, see how "citified" East of Baytown is becoming. Pretty soon, it is going to be suburbs to the Old and Lost River. Hell, it already is....

Heck, A&M knows the state is changing. The MBA program at A&M actively recruited my daughter in law. She accepted and they call her about 2-3 times a week. You can't tell me, " Zhou" in her name didn't have something to do with that.

I know I shouldn't be, but even I was surprised by the lack of Anglo-Saxon surnamed grads at UT-Austin.   I know I shouldn't have been, but I was. I still live in a somewhat isolated portion of the state.

If I make it another 10-15-20 years, I will be interested to see what becomes of Texas. I am afraid I will have to shamefully call myself a racist. Texas won't be the Texas of my youth.....But then, I am somewhat a historian. Nothing stays the same. And we really shouldn't want it to.

Hell, my grandkids will probably have the surname Zhou-Thomas, and in reality, I'm okay with it.









No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...