Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Vidor????

I've been trying to avoid the news. All of it.

Even the local news can do nothing but recycle the national news which has been playing all day, maybe they'll have a car wreck or a link sale for some organization that already occurred. But, no real news. I find out more local news going to KOGT or KJAS websites rather than watching the local TV news.

So, I am surprised to see that their was a "Black Lives Matter" rally in of all places.....

Vidor.

When I first saw the posting about the event perhaps occurring in Vidor, well, it is on social media, so, I was skeptical about it actually happening.

And it happened.

And to my shock, more people outside of Orange County were all upset that it happened.

Vidor is not Vidor of the 1960s or the 1970s.

I remember teachers in open classroom in Vidor in the 1970s using the term " N*gg*r"  in history class to describe things such as the Emancipation Proclamation.

The term "N*gg*r " was thrown around in the halls of Vidor Schools almost as much as the word " the" might be used in a sentence.

And of course " old" Vidor shown up to the event, with some of the "old" Vidorians who think the world should still be around 1952 carrying assault rifles to make sure, well, I don't know what they wanted to show? That they're still knuckleheads?

The world is changing people, and Vidor is changing. Or many are trying. It is no longer 1970. ( I have never interviewed for a job teaching without me being asked about my growing up in Vidor, and " We have minorities in the school, will you have a trouble with them?" )

I don't know what people writing on the subject who live outside Orange County want? For Vidor to put back up the signs that said " N*gg*r, if the sun goes down on you while you're still here, God help you." 

Vidor is trying to change. Trouble is, will people outside the community allow it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...