Monday, December 14, 2020

Thomas vs. Daniel Whitton

 The odds makers in Vegas are wrong. They have the MMA match with Whitton winning in the 4th. I'm taking a dive in the first. 

Seriously, and this is just how nutty my life is. 

In the last 3 months I have had 2 people tell me that people who got married by Whitton when he was JP Pct. 4 are not as good as you who are somewhat an ordained minister. 

I don't know. I often feel at some point my denomination will discover that somehow I am a fraud and de-frock me. ( I'd have to do something really bad to get de-frocked.....But still.)

I call B.S.

Serious B.S.....

According to the State of Texas, both are legit officiants. 

Now if you are saying this because of the " religious" aspect of my performing a ceremony.....Well, I am sure Whitton would have prayed at the ceremony if you asked, heck, he may have done so. 

And let me tell you a quick story....

In the 1920s, a young couple in Franklin County Texas wished to be married. One was Southern Baptist....The other, Cumberland Presbyterian. Neither minister would marry them because it would be a bad due to the different forms of Protestantism. 

So, the couple at their lunch hour went to the local JP in Winnsboro, TX to get married, and told no one except his brother who he pick-up to be the witness. ( In those days you had to have a witness, no longer in this state.) 

That couple was my maternal grandparents.....5 kids and 50+ years of marriage and my grandfather taught me more about religion and politics than I learned at either the seminary or university. ( My grandfather was about a big a character as I am...It is where I got it from)

So, Whitton vs. Thomas.....I'm just glad you got married in this day and age.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Change at Buna?

 I knew it had changed, and I really have not talked a great deal about the change until I saw it discussed on Facebook.  Yesterday and toda...