Friday, April 16, 2021

The Book- " The 'N' Word" at Buna?

 I have heard from a couple of ex-students upset about the reference to the book " The 'N' Word." It talks about how, and who can use the term. 

I don't know what is going on. It seems that the controversy started from John Steinbeck's book " Of Mice and Men."  And in the book, the "N" word is used. The book and I am going from memory was published in  1937. ( Yes, that's my final jeopardy answer) ( And the "N" word is used often to discuss one of the characters in the book.)

"Huckleberry Finn" Mark Twain's book has the "N" word in it, but if you read it in context, it is a slap at racist Whites. 

I am not a fan of Steinbeck, just a personal choice......Hell, if I was teaching American Lit in HS, I'd really stir up controversy and make you read Kurt Vonnegut's " Breakfast of Champions." In the middle of the book is a drawing of an asshole. 

At this point in time I don't know who should get upset anymore. 

I use the two terms " Coonass" and "Mick" to describe the fact I have Cajun and Irish ancestry. 

Should I get upset if you call me a Coonass? ( I know some people think it shouldn't be used.)

Should I get upset if you call me a Mick? ( In Boston unless you're a Mick, they do.)

I don't know what is going on. I wonder if as Shakespeare said....  This is "much ado about nothing?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...