Thursday, April 1, 2021

There's No Place Like Home....There's No Place Like Home.....

 Deb and I spent the last two day Tuesday-Wednesday in Houston. It was her turn for doctor's appointments. I guess we are of that age. 

We had enough points that we could get a hotel room for free, so we stayed Tues-Weds night at the Hyatt Regency downtown Houston. 

Yes Sir, Jed Clampett and Granny come to town. 

The Hyatt Regency has 900+ rooms, and is 30 stories ( We were on the 23rd story) and I think occupancy was at <10%.  Nice hotel, but downtown Houston was dead. Literally due to Covid, no one was working or staying downtown. 

We had a hard time finding a restaurant that was open, and for lunch was lucky to find a Wimpy Burger open. ( Good burger, next to the Hyatt.) 

Due to the traffic alone, I could not live in Houston. And I understand road rage. We got horns blown at us for well, we are not sure what we did. All I know is one time I had my hand on a 9mm with hollow points ready to shoot our way out of the situation. 

The doctor situation was no better. As a visitor( care giver as I was referred to at one place) I often had to wait in a "visitor jail" complete with a jailer, who regulated when I got in and out of my holding cell. This of course is due to Covid. 

On the way home after we found a Tex-Mex place in LaPorte. ( Gringos on Underwood near San Jacinto Monument. Pretty good Tex-Mex. We always travel down Hwy 225 to avoid I-10 in Houston and Baytown.) We are just amazed at how much the Barber's Hill area is grown with suburban sprawl. I made the remark as we saw the " Houses Starting at $350,000" being built, "It won't be long before they will be building subdivisions in Anahuac."....Sure enough on Hwy 61 which leads to Anahuac off I-10, I see signs for new homes being built in a new subdivision in Anahuac ISD. Houston is headed this way. 

The trip reminded me that I was so glad to teach in rural parts of the state most of my career. 

And here is the sad part, we're going to have to travel back for more tests. We do have more points for a room. Maybe we can find an affiliated hotel not downtown to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...