Saturday, May 8, 2021

Don't Think This Couldn't Happen to Your House

 So, I am minding my own business yesterday and find this in the Wall Street Journal.

It seem that there is a tiny retirement village near the SpaceX launching Pad in far South Texas. 

The village is Boca Chica Village and is, if you are looking on a map, 22 miles East of Brownsville. 

It seems that SpaceX is trying to buy most of these people out, saying they live too near a launching pad. 

Well, hell, they were there first. 

And they've been offered buyouts. And they are fairly generous buy outs. But, they are not life changing monies. 

The houses are valued at at $50,000, have been offered around $150,000 to buy out.....

The trouble is, unless you move into Deep East Texas or SE Texas, $150,000 no longer buys much in this state. 

You'd be hard pressed to buy in a small safe community, near the beach, for that amount of cash. 

I was shocked at the amount of commenters who thought the people should leave, pretty much at any cost because " SpaceX is good for the economy." And it would be safer for the people to leave, never mind SpaceX is having workers live in the homes they have already bought. 

And as one person said, " the SpaceX people act like they already own the place." No fooling, if I'd found them messing around my place they would have gotten a load of buckshot.

Hell, Elon Musk is the what the 2nd , 3rd richest man, he needs to come in and throw some serious money at the people in the village and trust me they'll leave.

I don't know, I know at some point we'll make that " final" move or at least I'll hope it will be the final one. But to be honest at this age, I dread moving. ( If it was up to me, we'd stay here. )

I am just hoping we get enough money it will be worth our while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Men, This One's for You....And it Ain't Good.....

 I've been going to more and more funerals here lately.  Part of it, well, most of it is my age.  That said, I am appalled at the way me...