Sunday, June 6, 2021

The Supreme Court to Look at Drafting Women

 As early as tomorrow, the Supreme Court is being asked to decide whether it’s sex discrimination for the government to require only men to register for the draft when they turn 18.

Men who do not register can lose eligibility for student loans and civil service jobs, and failing to register is also a felony punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and five years in prison.

The last time the high court considered the Military Selective Service Act, then-Justice William Rehnquist explained that the purpose of registration “was to prepare for a draft of combat troops.” He said that because women could not serve in combat, the law was not unlawful sex discrimination that violated the Constitution.

But military policy has changed. In 2013, the Department of Defense lifted the ban on women serving in combat. Two years later, the department said all military roles would be open to women without exception.

Just this past year, a congressional commission decided the time was right to include women in the draft.  

I don't know, Israel has had women in their military draft for years. 

Even my daughter-in-law when she in university went through a military type boot-camp. ( Very short) during the summer between her Freshman and  Sophomore years.( Everyone there is required to go through it) She thought it was comical.

I have had ex-students in the past try and register for the draft when they were in my class and I was required to "sign-up" 18 year olds.( As I have said in the past, I turned 18 years old during that time period of about 2 and 1/2 years in which there was no registration. So, I felt funny about signing up people for Selective Service.)

We have not had a draft in 50 years. I doubt we'll see one in my lifetime. 

That said, should females be required to register? 

It is time. If we actually need a draft, we're going to need everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Change at Buna?

 I knew it had changed, and I really have not talked a great deal about the change until I saw it discussed on Facebook.  Yesterday and toda...