Sunday, March 20, 2022

Oh, Those PNG Indians

 So, Port Neches- Groves is thinking they'll be able to be " Purple and White Indians" the rest of eternity. 

I don't know.

Somehow purple and white war bonnets, and calling their school " The Reservation," and having one of their cheers as " Scalp 'em Indians, Scalp 'em." is well, running a little old. 

And I know other cultures scalped including American colonists who paid for Native scalps. Confederate raiders who carried  Union Soldier scalps....Scalping historically was done all over the world long before Europeans came to the Americas, yet, I don't know any team with historical ties using the term " Scalp 'em." It's reserved for Cherokees, a group who traditionally didn't scalp." Cherokee is the group the PNG School associates with their " Indians."

Heck, during World War II, US Marines/Sailors boiled the flesh off the skulls of Japanese soldiers and sent them home to their sweethearts. ( A 1944 Life Magazine had a photo of a Japanese skull with a US Navy's seaman's girlfriend inside the cover....and the Japanese used it as propaganda. " What kind of barbarians do this?" And hell, they were right. How would you feel if some Japanese was using Uncle Bob's skull as an ashtray? )

I don't think the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, TX has a cheer that says, " Boil those skulls, Boil them!" 

At one point PNGISD was deleting people complaining on their website who thought they should change their mascot name. ( Twitter, Facebook, etc.) Sorry PNGISD, but you're a government entity. You accept tax dollars including state, and Federal monies. That makes it a First Amendment violation. I got a real problem with that. PNGISD finally realized what they were doing and deleted all social media. 

I know there are schools called the " Fighting Irish" and as a pretty good portion Irishman, I don't care. It's mostly people with Irish background involved. Same thing with the "Highlanders" up at Highland Park near Dallas, they were founded mostly by Scots.   The Cherokees don't. They see it as white people making fun of them.  ( Do an Ancestry.com test. find out just how much of what you actually are. I was told for years I had Cherokee in my DNA. I doubted it, so I took the test. Irish, Scottish, with some Welsh and Coonass thrown in for good measure. Just what I expected. Not a speck of Cherokee DNA)

At some point whether you like it or not, PNG will change their name. 

World changes whether you want it or not. 

Let me suggest " Refinery Rats" with a rat wearing a hard-hat carrying a pipe wrench as their mascot? Or the "Fightin' Coonasses" ...No, some people in the Acadian community see the word " Coonass" as racist. ( I don't, but many do. ) 

So what you going to do? Jefferson County is dying anyway. This entire area is. The better educated kids are generally moving to larger cities. ( Not all, but many) 

I'll bet the folks in Nederland are getting a kick out of this....I know this Vidor HS grad is....As much shit as I've taken my entire life about being from Vidor, it's good to see PNG feel some heat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...