Friday, March 25, 2022

Something is Rotten in the State of Buna

 Hate to paraphrase the Bard this early on of a Friday morning....

Last night on KJAS's Not on the Payroll, we made mention of the lack of employees at the Buna ISD, or the trouble finding workers at Buna, or in general, people staying at the district. 

I know part of it is money, why work there when you can go someplace else for more cash?

I know the gas price might keep native Buna folks stay close to home, but those driving in from other cities, well, they'll start looking in Silsbee or Jasper, or LCM, wherever closer to home.  

People, who can, are retiring from the classroom as quick as they can. 

Then there is group that's just not happy with the present administration....and it's greater than you can imagine. The number of employees who approach me in one way or another unhappy with what is going on in Buna ISD is growing.....And I am so tempted to say something to the former students of mine who now sit on the Board of Trustees. I do have a literal microphone now and could go hard and heavy after the situation. 

But when people who work outside of the classroom want to leave, someone needs to take a look at what is going on. 

I know Buna ISD expected it, and offered a $500 bonus for people leaving to resign by the end of February.  Maybe, it you cared about folks, you'd offer money to stay?

I know schools can't get people to teach anyplace in the State of Texas, and in truth, who would? Hell, I made fun of Beaumont ISD because they can't find instructors, and have been advertising on TV for faculty, and there has been a private school that's been ' flirting" with me to come and teach history, gubmint, economics, and strangely enough, British Literature ( which is pretty much just glorified English History) but let's face it, I like the whole media 'business' I am involved in right now. 

And if it's bad everyplace else, trust me, Buna is going to get hit hard. 

Buna, there needs to be some changes.And it's only going to get worse.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...