Thursday, December 29, 2022

Sitting Up With The Dead

 I don't know why I thought of this part, but if you will, remember my daughter in law today, she lost her grandmother. She is about the age I lost my maternal grandmother. This comes after the death of a great-uncle by marriage of mine last week.( Both were expected, and don't be all upset about mine.)

And I don't know why I thought of this, but....

When I was younger, we sat up with the dead.....and I often volunteered to "sit up." 

Old Southern tradition. 

And we no longer do this today, and I volunteered to sit up with my maternal grandmother, like I did with my maternal grandfather and my paternal grandmother....But was told "No."

We were told by the funeral director for " Insurance purposes" we could no longer stay.

Jerry Clower and Lewis Grizzard tell amusing stories about " Sitting Up With the Dead."

Sadly, nothing exciting happened during my time of sitting up. But at about 3AM in a quiet funeral home,  you start to wonder. 

Just stuff you young people will never experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

So, I Wrote a Blog on This Over a Year Ago.....And STILL Get Hate Mail....

 And it has NOTHING to do with the Buna ISD.....I was told, "Yeah, they get mad at you, but at some point, even if they don't admi...