Thursday, December 29, 2022

Sitting Up With The Dead

 I don't know why I thought of this part, but if you will, remember my daughter in law today, she lost her grandmother. She is about the age I lost my maternal grandmother. This comes after the death of a great-uncle by marriage of mine last week.( Both were expected, and don't be all upset about mine.)

And I don't know why I thought of this, but....

When I was younger, we sat up with the dead.....and I often volunteered to "sit up." 

Old Southern tradition. 

And we no longer do this today, and I volunteered to sit up with my maternal grandmother, like I did with my maternal grandfather and my paternal grandmother....But was told "No."

We were told by the funeral director for " Insurance purposes" we could no longer stay.

Jerry Clower and Lewis Grizzard tell amusing stories about " Sitting Up With the Dead."

Sadly, nothing exciting happened during my time of sitting up. But at about 3AM in a quiet funeral home,  you start to wonder. 

Just stuff you young people will never experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...