Monday, August 7, 2023

A Message to Buna ISD Patrons/Parents as School Starts this Week-

 School starts Wednesday of this week, August 9th. I remember when I first started teaching when it started after Labor Day. 

I know parents you get tired during the school year. You've got work, there are unforeseen events that occur that wear you down even more so.  

Keep involved with your kids. Watch their grades. 

That said don't blame teachers for everything going on. Teachers in Buna are not trying to indoctrinate your kids. Most are too busy actually trying to teach and in secondary, they've got extra curricular events to worry with. And they generally avoid politics like the plague. Teachers in general are trying to remain neutral. I know other than my unabashed expression of support of the 2nd Amendment( And looking back, I shouldn't have discussed it) you really didn't know my political beliefs until I retired. 

Yes, there are teachers who are " Not so good." But it's that way in every profession, job. I know my first couple of years there were people in the community who thought I was " Satan Himself, " or at least a "Fallen Angel" until the community realized what I was trying to do.

But most of your teachers actually want your kids to do well. Some of my proudest moments, even today, are when I see former students do well in life.   

Keep an eye on the political leaders. Hold them accountable. I know some of you don't look at school board members as "politicians" but they are. Low level, but they are politicians. 

Heck, if you are unhappy with what is going on at the Buna Schools, run for office. I know some of you have written me and are thinking about " Throwing your hat into the ring." I encourage you to do so. Maybe you can make some changes that the community wants. 

But remember, if you are elected, it's hard work. You might come under a critical eye of the community, and this writer. But in the end, you know you are helping the community. And hopefully, you can look back at the good you did for the district.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...