Friday, October 20, 2023

International Paper, Invista...Local Economy

 I worry about the local economy, I seriously do. 

And I wonder if IP and Invista are just a a start?

What kind of shape is the Mill in Evadale? I have already heard rumors that Chevron might be cooling concerning the new plant in Orange. And perhaps while not stopping the new plant, slowing down on construction. And don't be saying " No" the folks at the International Paper Mill in Little Cypress never saw their mill closing....Heck, in the 1980s, when Texaco( Now Motiva) had a large lay-off of 2000 and it literally killed Port Arthur. And Port Arthur has never come back. One of my favorite restaurants, Leo and Willie's closed because of the lay-offs. Beaumont was stunted, and the population of Beaumont has been stagnant since that period of time. The guys out at Texaco in the 80s, did not see it coming.

And I wonder with the economy, the increased automation, artificial intelligence, the desire for an increased profit, how close to there being more closures, more people in this area losing their jobs? 

Already someone was talking about 800-850+ people losing their jobs due to the two closures.  

How many other people are going to be hurt due to the closure? Already someone has realized in the media that truck drivers who haul pulpwood are going to be hurting. And I have heard from spouses of other truck drivers in this area who's work has decreased in the last year. How many other businesses/workers will be hurt due to the closures?

I am wondering how many people are already starting to sell their " Toys?" ( Boats, ATVs, Big Trucks) Or, they are planning to do so? 

How many people will be forced to "downsize" their homes?  Or, just leave this area?

It upsets me. It upsets me badly. 

There are a number of people I know who work at both closing facilities. And I am worried about them.  

Very worried.

Our economy is a one-two trick pony. Oil and timber. They do poorly, so does the area. It often take a little for our area to 'catch up' economically, but when we do, it takes us longer to recover. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...