Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Bad News- Jasper Sheriff's Debate

 As you know, we plan to have to Sheriff's Debate for Jasper County, Tuesday Jan 30th, 2023. 

As of yesterday, one of the candidates has pulled out of the debate. 

Here is the letter received on the matter. 

 

Jay,

After reviewing the guidelines put forth for the proposed upcoming debate, I am respectfully declining your offer to participate.

I believe the citizens of Jasper County deserve a completely open, unbiased and unfettered conversation on all of the important issues in this race/election but the rules laid out restrict the free flow of information in the debate and to the public.

Instead, I will continue to speak to individuals and groups throughout the county and remain open as I’ve been since declaring my candidacy to meet, discuss and answer questions, concerns and topics from anyone who wishes to have a conversation.  

This will include myself reaching out to our students and schools that have shown an interest in this election and civics. 

Additionally, I appreciate the time that you and both moderators were willing to dedicate to this event. If I can do anything for you, feel free to reach out to me. 


Sincerely,

Chuck Havard
 
Jay, is Jay Sharp, publisher of the "East Texas Banner" who is sponsoring the event at Kirbyville High School. 

Because of the many wheels already turning, we plan to continue the event with one candidate, and hope to invite other candidates to appear. And continue to hope Mr. Havard changes his mind.

I know neither candidate, thus why I was asked to be a moderator of the event. I literally " Have no dog in the hunt" as I live outside the county, thus why I was asked. The questions I was to ask were standard candidate for sheriff questions, that any citizen of the State of Texas would want answered, be it Jasper, Orange, Newton, Hardin or any of the 254 Texas Counties. 
 
I am receiving no pay, and have already spent considerable time planning this event. 
 
Mr. Sharp has sent a letter in reply
 
Chuck,

Thanks for the update. 

Let me know if you change your mind by Wednesday. 

Thanks,

Jay Sharp
EastTexasBanner.com
 
I will continue to keep you updated....
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay Ladies, You're Not Getting Off the Hook.......

 Again, I had not planned to write this blog....Partially, I never enforced female dress code when I taught school. It was too much of a min...