Thursday, March 28, 2024

I Quit Too......

 The Gallup Poll has the latest numbers on people who go to church.....And Americans have stopped going. Or are in the process of stopping. 

I am not shocked. I am a seminary alumni, still ordained in a denomination and I am can't stand to attend church. I literally feel like a " fish out of water" when I go, even when I am asked to speak in some form or fashion at a church I feel somehow like " Shouldn't be here." 

That said, drive anyplace between my house and "anyplace" and I'll pass all sorts of churches, most now not affiliated with any set denomination. 

Only 30% of the Protestants attend every Sunday, 53% seldom, or never. Catholics, 23% every week. The most attending group is the Mormons at 54%, but of course, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is only 2% of the U.S. population.  

18 to 29 year olds, the numbers are at 22%, the lowest number ever for that age group of adults. 

All in all, this means only about a third of Americans attend church on a regular basis. This is down from 42% two decades ago.

I don't know, as you know, my wife and I often travel to the UK and Britain's churches are what I am going to assume American churches are going to become. Many just abandoned. This is especially true in rural areas.( Heck, urban areas too.) 

Heck, the last time I attended church was in Wales at the Church of Wales( Anglican) cathedral in Cardiff last Easter.  

I don't plan to attend this coming Easter Sunday, it would almost be hypocritical if I attended. 

I don't know, a few years ago I try to start going back to church and in retrospect, I am not sure why I did. I was miserable each time I went. I got nothing out of it. 

And trust me, I would never "beat you up" for not going, trust me, I understand. I really do.

So, and certainly no judge here, but when's the last time you went? And is the American church dying?

No comments:

Post a Comment

" Hello, We're from Buna"

 So, I had not planned to blog today, have appointments today, and I am taking a break at the Compound before I head to the next one.  So, o...