Tuesday, March 26, 2024

Surely This Isn't True Buna Schools?

 I hear more and more stuff coming from Buna. 

Alleged assaults on teachers.

Teachers doing nothing....How this is new, well, I don't know? There has always been teachers I've looked at and went, " How in the hell aren't you fired? " Then again, with my envelope pushing, and sometimes usage of Anglican-Presbyterian theology in class mixed in with my belief that seniors are well, grown-ass people, I am sure there are people who say the same about me. 

Supposed assaults on teachers, and they being kept hushed, I am not shocked. That happened in the Houston area schools I taught in during the 1980s. Hell, for a while in Dayton it was like " Gillette's Friday Night at the Fights" every damn day.( Yeah, I am old enough to remember the old "Friday Night at the Fights" on NBC.)  You want people to quit the profession? Tell them there's a chance you might get the hell beat out of you when go to work, other than cops(And they carry stuff to stop it), I can't think of another profession that might happen. Prize fighters?  

And trust me folks teachers getting assaulted happens more than you think, it is just never reported. And it's not something they talk about in teacher's courses in college. 

You know I had some person on Facebook saying, " Teachers knew what the job was when they took it." 

Not really. It is so different than what you think it is, and if you are actually good at it, you have to work at it. And even then, there are somethings you never feel you get right....I taught economics for 20+ years and I never think I got what I really wanted you to learn in the 87 days I had you in economics class. 

It's so much harder than you think, and this is coming from a guy who made it look easy. Trust me, I got anxious before 1st period....Every damn day.

It's why almost 50% of new teachers quit 5 years after going into the profession. And with the price of a college degree, well, why get a degree and get paid peanuts?

And I know the 4.5 day with early out on Friday is an attempt to placate and improve the morale of the Buna staff, but I wonder if it is too little, too late.....Or will it actually make he district more attractive to potential faculty? And looking at the 24-25 calendar, I still see teachers have to stay late 7 Fridays for meetings. in 31 years of teaching, you know how many faculty meetings I went to that were worth a damn? I seriously can't think of any....The entire time I was either stirring up trouble in the back or thinking, " I got actual important stuff to do, let's go!"

As of this morning at 5:30AM March 26th, there are 8 teaching positions open in Buna, One administrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Change at Buna?

 I knew it had changed, and I really have not talked a great deal about the change until I saw it discussed on Facebook.  Yesterday and toda...